Tomorrow is the first day back at school for most schools. My wife and I will wake our children by running into their rooms yelling like Nemo around his dad on his first day of school. (Here’s an 18 second YouTube Link in case you don’t know what part of the Disney movie I’m talking about)
Do you know what that means for everyone on the road?…SCHOOL BUSES!
Its time for every one of us to watch the roads for excited youngsters. We all know the rules and fines but can always use a reminder. I went to the MTO website (link) and pulled out the regulations.
Drivers: know the rules
When driving on a road WITHOUT a median:
- drivers travelling in both directions must stop for a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing
- when you approach the bus from the front, stop at a safe distance to let children get on or off the bus and cross the road
- don’t move forward until the red lights have stopped flashing or the bus begins to move
When driving on a road WITH a median:
- traffic coming from the opposite direction is not required to stop.
Drivers can be charged if they pass a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing:
- First offence: $400 to $2,000 and six demerit points..
- Each following offence: $1,000 to $4,000, six demerit points and possible jail time (up to six months)
Vehicle owners can be charged if their vehicle illegally passes a stopped school bus, even if they weren’t driving.
If you’ve got young ones, it wont hurt to go to the site and check over the full list of tips to help keep our young riders safe.
Now that I have you thinking about driving and vehicles…I have to remind you that we can cut and program keys, fobs, and factory remotes for almost every vehicle on the road today. We save customers between $35-150 over the dealership and do the programming for you! No appointment necessary.
I’m always happy to write these emails and welcome any and all feedback. Don’t hesitate to reach out and discuss anything security or safety related.