I think just about everyone has hidden a key or two in their day. I’ve seen them stashed everywhere over the years. Some ideas were good, while others…not so much.
I certainly want you to use all of the services Northern Security has to offer…I just want to help you avoid the discomfort of calling us at 9 p.m. on a Sunday when you’re stuck outside. That’s why I want to offer these solutions to help keep you and what matters most to you safe.
Ideally you’ll use one of our keyless push button solutions and avoid keys all together. We have plenty of options so don’t hesitate to reach out to me for some great ideas. If you don’t want to go that route and decide to keep with keys, there are a few do’s and don’ts when it comes to keeping a spare handy.
Don’t hide them
- Under a cheap looking fake rock
- On top of the screen door
- Under the door mat (does anyone even still have them outside?)
- With the sketchy looking kid down the road
Places to hide them…just make sure no one sees you retrieving it
- Taped under a real stone in a flower garden, rock garden, or large planter.
- Concealed in the siding on your house (seriously…check this out!)
- Using a magnetic or velcro key hider to keep it stuck somewhere out of sight
- With a trusted neighbour
Another option to help reduce your chances of leaving your keys inside, add extra protection, and likely save some money on your insurance is to install deadbolts. If you remove the locking door knob and just install a passage set, you’ll need your keys to lock the door behind you and be less likely to get locked out. Our deadbolts have a 1″ throw and you can usually get a reduction on your insurance for installing them.
Just some things to consider to avoid that Sunday call.
If you want to discuss this or any other security tips, I’d love to hear from you.